Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Author Interview: Ryan Sullivan, author of Aundes Aura

Today I'm happy to interview friend and author Ryan Sullivan. His debut fantasy novel Aundes Aura came out just last week!

Want to know what's really cool? You can hop on over to Amazon and grab a FREE copy today!



Saera is afflicted. Seven years ago, while venturing into a cave behind a waterfall with her brother Eoin, she unwittingly absorbed the Aura of Aundes, the Goddess of Light, who cultivates war by making men blind to one another.

Their father, the village blacksmith, languishes in the dungeons for refusing to fight in the Duthonian army, so the siblings must fend for themselves, begging for coin by day and stealing into houses for food by night. Meanwhile, the power-hungry Church Regency prepares an army for an all-out attack on neighbouring kingdom, Meira.

When the Aura reveals itself within Saera, the Regency pursues her relentlessly. She and Eoin take flight and with the help of Faine, a mysterious traveller they happen upon, they elude their pursuers. Making alliances they would never have dreamt of, they find themselves swept up into a struggle against the kingdom they once called their own.


Hello Ryan! Tell us a bit about yourself. What do you do apart from writing?

I’m currently studying an Advanced Diploma of Music, in hopes of being a piano teacher to supplement my writing income. This year I started teaching piano at a primary school on Wednesdays. When I have spare time, I record covers of film and game themes on my Youtube channel, “Acrozius”. I also sometimes record original songs, and covers of more mainstream music for my other Youtube channel, “Ryan Lee Sullivan”.

Aundes Aura was released last week. Where did you find the inspiration to write it?

The initial inspiration came one morning when I woke up. In my mind was an image of a girl in a cave, an explosion of white light, and the title, Aundes Aura. It nestled in my thoughts for the next couple of days, and then I started writing.

Plotter or pantser?

Of course, it’s really a spectrum. When I started writing Aundes Aura I’d say I was about 50/50, maybe with a slight lean towards pantser. These days I’d say I’m 3 parts plotter, 1 part pantser. I used a variation of the Snowflake Method to plan out my current work-in-progress (Three Bridges) from start to finish. Also, before every session, I write a brief outline of the events I’ll be covering, and then expand on those in the actual writing.

How would you define your writing? Do you have a special message for readers?

It’s a blend of action and character development that doesn’t get too bogged down in details, but provides a good amount to give a sense of the world. I like to use all three at a time – the characters progress towards their goal, and meanwhile we learn something new about one of them, and discover the world through the eyes of the main character. In Aundes Aura I explore the themes of corruption and loyalty in many ways.

As an author, what is the most difficult task you’ve had to tackle? And the easiest?

The most difficult task for me was taking a book all the way to the end of the first draft. The following drafts were much easier, and much less time-consuming. Now that I’ve done that, it will definitely come more easily in the future. The easiest task was, in fact, getting the initial idea. I mean, I woke up and it was there. All I had to was go with it.

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

Finish things. Be a finisher, not just a starter. If novels take you a while, write a couple of short stories as side-projects. Learn to finish. It doesn’t matter how many great ideas you’ve started, you can’t publish an unfinished book. If you get a great idea in the middle of a project, jot it down and move on. You can come back to it later.


Thank you for the interview, Ryan, and congratulations on your new release! I wish you the best of luck.

As for you, dear readers, don't forget to check out Aundes Aura on Amazon, and download your free copy while the promotion lasts (June 12, 13 & 14)!

You can also...

5 comments:

  1. The book sounds great. I just downloaded it!

    I found your blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe. Great to connect! You can find me at http://www.sdkeeling.com. I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just snagged a copy for myself. It sounds interesting!

    I see this will be part of a series. Is Three Bridges a future installment or a standalone project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... What is the "snowflake method" that he speaks of? I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of it, but I'm always willing to learn new writing methods/tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelly,

      I believe you'll find the information in this link:

      http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

      Basically, the snowflake method is to take a simple idea, and expand it step by step.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...