Wednesday, April 10, 2013

WIP Blog Hop - Making Time

Now that I'm about ready to release my debut novel, Serving Time, it sounded like a good idea to join in another blog hop for my second novel, Making Time!

What is a blog hop? Basically, it’s a way for readers to discover authors new to them. I hope you'll find new-to-you authors whose works you enjoy.

My gratitude to fellow author Khaalidah for inviting me to participate in this event. You can click on her name to learn more about her work.

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions. Here is my Next Big Thing!

What is the working title of your book?

The title is Making Time. It is the second book in the series. The first book is titled Serving Time. You might have heard about it or been hit over the head with it several times by now. ;-)

Fun and/or confusing fact: originally, Making Time was the title of my first book. I wanted a play on words with the word "time", but I wasn't so sure that the title reflected the plot adequately. One day, I was brainstorming ideas for my then untitled second book, when I realized Making Time was the perfect name for it! So Book 1 was left without a title! The credit for Serving Time goes to fellow CCer and author Kelly Walker, who came up with it in a jiffy once I told her my problem.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

The idea has always been latent somewhere inside me like a virus waiting for the right time to start replicating. Since Making Time is the second book in a series, the ideas in it are a continuation and expansion of the ideas in the first book.

What genre does your book come under?

The easy and incomplete response is "science fiction".

The complete and complicated response is "dystopian science fiction with a heavy dash of fantasy". The action takes place several hundred years in the future. Mankind has more or less settled in colonies all around the solar system. The Mars terraformation project is a joke, though, since the jungle (and all the crawly critters inhabiting it) has been out of control for decades. In this science fiction setting, an entire menagerie of fantasy creatures have control over the universe.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Honestly, I never think about that. I've tried to find people who resemble my characters, but I can't really visualize a specific actor playing one of my characters. Actually, I'm more excited about creating a comic book version of my novel instead of a movie. Although a movie would also be fine!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Making Time is a sci-fi expedition into Hell. :-)

Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

Just like its predecessor (Serving Time), this book will also be self published in ebook and print formats.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I wrote most of it during NaNoWriMo 2012. It was a fantastic experience! I reached fifty thousand words on November 14, and managed sixty-six thousand words before the end of the month! However, there were still many missing scenes and many parts I hadn't thought through well enough.

After NaNoWriMo, I took a break from Making Time, and focused on completing Serving Time. I only returned to Making Time around the end of January, and I'm still drafting the manuscript. I would say I'm about two thirds of the way there.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

This is really tough, since my series combines science fiction and fantasy--and I'm very selective about what I combine. If forced to choose, I would say both Serving Time and Making Time are comparable to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass). Comparable in what way? All these books contain elements of science fiction and elements of fantasy, and they all touch on the subject of "higher beings". Who rules life and death? What is a soul? You can find hypotheses in both series, as well as a great adventure!

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

Inspiration is elusive, isn't it? I can't pin down where I got the idea to create this world, but it all started when I was around 13 or 14. Maybe a dream sparked the idea? Maybe a line from a book I was reading? As far as I know, I don't know.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

During NaNoWrimo 2012, Making Time was featured on The Masquerade Crew! Follow the link for a sneak peek into one of its chapters!

And what's next on our blog hop? Next week, Ryan Sullivan will tell us about his WIP, Aundes Aura. Don't forget to stop by his blog!

2 comments:

  1. Your one sentence synopsis about your book is awesome! Serving Time sounds like the bomb! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the release!
    Terrific hop-along, Nadine! Thanks for playing along with me and everyone else. Stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Khaalidah! It was actually tough for me to post this due to all the work I had, and you know that I got sick to boot! :-S I'm feeling better now, though.
      We'll keep in touch!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...